YOU MUST READ THIS SYMANTEC TEST CERTIFICATION AUTHORITY PRACTICE STATEMENT ("TEST CPS") CAREFULLY. BY CLICKING "ACCEPT" BELOW AND/OR REQUESTING, USING, OR RELYING UPON A TEST CERTIFICATE OR THE TEST CA ROOT CERTIFICATE (AS THESE TERMS ARE DEFINED BELOW), YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS TEST CPS, AND TO BECOME A PARTY TO THIS TEST CPS. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS TEST CPS, YOU MUST NOT REQUEST, USE, OR RELY UPON A TEST CERTIFICATE, THE TEST CA ROOT CERTIFICATE, OR ANY COMPONENT THEREOF.
ALL REFERENCES TO "VERISIGN" IN THIS TEST CPS SHALL BE UNDERSTOOD AS REFERENCES TO THE LEGAL ENTITY SPECIFIED ON THE HOMEPAGE OF THE WEBSITE ON WHICH YOU APPLIED FOR YOUR CERTIFICATE.
This Test CPS sets forth certain terms and conditions under which Symantec's Test Certification Authority ("Test CA") issues and manages test server certificates ("Test Server Certificates") and test Managed PKI end-user certificates ("Test Subscriber Certificates") (collectively, "Test Certificates") (formerly known as OnSite Test Certificates) and under which the certificate for the test CA ("Test CA Root Certificate") and Test Certificates are used.
A person or organization that is the subject of, and has been issued a Test Certificate, and is capable of using, and is authorized to use, the private key that corresponds to the public key listed in the Test Certificate is a subscriber ("Subscriber"). A Test Server Certificate enables a Subscriber to simulate the operation of a web site that provides certain security services when a server certificate is properly used. A Test Server Certificate enables a Subscriber to use the Test Server Certificate to test the functionality of server certificates in his/her application. A Subscriber using a Test Subscriber Certificate may either (i) act as an Managed PKI administrator and approve Test Subscriber Certificate applications and otherwise perform Managed PKI administrator functions; or (ii) test the functionality of client certificates in his/her application. Symantec makes the Test CA Root Certificate available on its web site for authorized test purposes only in accordance with this Test CPS.
A person downloading and/or using the Test CA Root Certificate ("User"), including but not limited to employees or other representatives of the Subscriber, can simulate the process by which a browser authenticates and establishes a secure channel to a web site that properly uses a server certificate. This Test CPS is intended to legally bind and provide notice to Subscribers and other Users.
In consideration of the promises in this Test CPS and intending to be legally bound, Symantec, Subscribers, and Users ("Party" or "Parties" hereunder) agree as follows:
1. USE LIMITED TO AUTHORIZED TESTING PURPOSES. TEST CERTIFICATES AND THE TEST CA ROOT CERTIFICATE SHALL BE USED EXCLUSIVELY FOR TEST PURPOSES. TEST CERTIFICATES, THE TEST CA ROOT CERTIFICATES, AND ALL COMPONENTS THEREOF SHALL NOT BE USED OR RELIED UPON FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSES, INCLUDING COMMERCIAL TRANSACTIONS, AUTHENTICATING THE IDENTITY OF A SUBSCRIBER OR THE TEST CA, OR IN CONNECTION WITH ENSURING THE CONFIDENTIALITY OF ANY INFORMATION. DO NOT REQUEST OR USE A TEST CERTIFICATE OR THE TEST CA ROOT CERTIFICATE FOR ANY PURPOSE OTHER THAN FOR AUTHORIZED TECHNICAL TESTING. SUBSCRIBERS AND USERS ACKNOWLEDGE THAT NEITHER THE IDENTITY NOR AUTHORITY OF SUBSCRIBERS HAS BEEN AUTHENTICATED OR APPROVED BY THE TEST CA OR VERISIGN.
2. Issuance and Use. Upon Symantec's receipt of a complete application for a Test Certificate, Symantec shall issue a Test Certificate to a Subscriber. Symantec shall also provide Subscriber and other Users with access to the Test CA Root Certificate. Test Certificates and the Test CA Root Certificate shall be used exclusively for authorized testing purposes in simulating the process by which (i) a browser authenticates and establishes a secure channel to a web site that properly uses a server certificate (for Test Server Certificates); (ii) a Managed PKI Administrator approves Test Subscriber Certificate applications and otherwise performs Managed PKI administrator functions (for Test Subscriber Certificates) or (iii) a Subscriber tests the general functionality of client certificates (for Test Subscriber Certificates).
3. No Suspension or Revocation Services. Subscribers and Users acknowledge that Symantec shall not be required to suspend or revoke Test Certificates at the request of the Subscriber. Symantec shall be entitled at its sole discretion to revoke any or all Test Certificates.
4. Permission to Publish Information. Symantec shall be entitled to publish and otherwise to disclose publicly any Test Certificate or any portion of the content of a certificate, in connection with Symantec's dissemination of Test Certificate information within and outside of Symantec's Test CA hierarchy.
5. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY. SYMANTEC ISSUES TEST CERTIFICATES "AS IS." SYMANTEC DISCLAIMS ANY REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, GUARANTEES, TERMS OR CONDITIONS WHATSOEVER WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICES PROVIDED BY SYMANTEC HEREUNDER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY AND ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. SYMANTEC MAKES NO REPRESENTATION, WARRANTY OR GUARANTEE TO ANY PERSON THAT ANY SUBSCRIBER TO WHICH IT HAS ISSUED A TEST CERTIFICATE IS IN FACT THE PERSON OR ORGANIZATION IT CLAIMS TO BE IN INFORMATION SUPPLIED TO VERISIGN, OR THAT ANY PERSON OR ORGANIZATION IS IN FACT THE PERSON OR ORGANIZATION LISTED IN A TEST CERTIFICATE OR THE TEST CA ROOT CERTIFICATE. SYMANTEC MAKES NO ASSURANCES OF THE ACCURACY, AUTHENTICITY, INTEGRITY, OR RELIABILITY OF INFORMATION CONTAINED IN TEST CERTIFICATES OR THE TEST CA ROOT CERTIFICATE, OR OF THE RESULTS OF CRYPTOGRAPHIC METHODS IMPLEMENTED IN CONNECTION WITH SUCH CERTIFICATES. NO ORAL OR WRITTEN INFORMATION OR ADVICE GIVEN BY SYMANTEC OR ITS EMPLOYEES OR REPRESENTATIVES SHALL CREATE A REPRESENTATION, WARRANTY, OR GUARANTEE OR IN ANY WAY INCREASE THE SCOPE OF VERISIGN'S OBLIGATIONS. TO THE EXTENT JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES OR GUARANTEES, SOME OF THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
6. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. NO PARTY SHALL BE LIABLE TO ANY OTHER PERSON FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF SUCH OTHER PERSON HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE LIKELIHOOD OF SUCH DAMAGES. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY IN THIS TEST CPS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
7. Certificate Expiration. The validity period for a Test Certificate is set forth in the table below. Symantec shall be entitled to revoke a Test Certificate and terminate its obligations to a Subscriber under this Test CPS within its sole discretion at any time, with or without cause.
Type of Test Certificate: Validity Period
**Test Server Certificates:** 2 weeks from the date of certificate issuance
**TestDrive S/MIME and VPN certificates:** Configurable by an administrator up to a maximum of 2 months from the date of certificate issuance
**Pilot Server Certificates:** 1 year from the date of certificate issuance unless otherwise agreed with the Pilot account Subscriber
**Pilot Client Certificates:** Configurable by an administrator up to a maximum of 1 year from the date of certificate issuance unless otherwise agreed with the Pilot account Subscriber ============================================
8. After Expiration or Revocation. Upon expiration or revocation for any reason, a Subscriber's Test Certificate and all components thereof, shall not be used or relied upon for any reason. Such expiration or revocation shall not affect Sections 4, 5, 6, 8, and 9 of this Test CPS and all subsections of the foregoing, which shall continue in full force and affect to the extent necessary to permit the complete fulfillment thereof. Users shall delete the Test CA Root Certificate from their browsers upon completion of testing.
9. Miscellaneous Provisions.
9.1 Governing Laws. The laws of the State of California in the United States of America (irrespective of its choice of law principles) shall govern the validity of this Test CPS, the construction of its terms, and the interpretation and enforcement of the rights and duties of the Parties hereto. The parties agree that the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods shall not apply to this Test CPS.
9.2 Successors and Assigns. Except as otherwise provided herein, this Test CPS shall be binding upon, and inure to the benefit of the respective successors, executors, heirs, representatives, administrators, and assigns of the Parties. Neither this Test CPS nor Subscriber's Test Certificate shall be assignable by Subscriber. Any such attempted assignment or delegation shall be void and of no effect.
9.3 Severability. If any provision of this Test CPS, or the application thereof, shall for any reason and to any extent, be invalid or unenforceable, the remainder of this Test CPS and application of such provision to other persons or circumstances shall not be affected thereby and shall be interpreted so as best to reasonably effect the intent of the Parties. IT IS EXPRESSLY UNDERSTOOD THAT EACH AND EVERY PROVISION OF THIS TEST CPS THAT PROVIDES FOR ANY LIMITATION, DISCLAIMER OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY, WARRANTIES, OR DAMAGES IS INTENDED BY THE PARTIES TO BE SEVERABLE AND INDEPENDENT OF ANY OTHER PROVISION AND TO BE ENFORCED AS SUCH.
9.4 Entire Agreement. This Test CPS constitutes the entire understanding and agreement of the Parties hereto with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersedes all prior and contemporaneous oral and written agreements or understandings among the Parties.
9.5 Notices. Whenever Subscriber or User desires or is required to give any notice, demand, or request to Symantec with respect to this Test CPS, each such communication shall be in writing and shall be effective only if it is delivered by a courier service that confirms delivery in writing or is mailed, certified or registered mail, postage prepaid, return receipt requested, addressed to the "Contact" address listed on the website from where you purchased your Test Certificate, with a copy to: General Counsel, Symantec Corporation, 487 E. Middlefield Road, Mountain View, California, USA 94043. References to telephone numbers above shall mean 1-650-426-3400.
Such communications shall be effective when they are received.
9.6 Trademarks and Trade Names. By reason of this Test CPS or the performance hereof, Subscriber and Symantec shall acquire no rights of any kind in any trademark, brand name, logo, or product designation of the other Party and shall not make any use of the same for any reason except as otherwise authorized in writing by the Party that owns all rights to such trademarks, trade names, logos, or product designation.
Symantec Test Certification Authority Certification Practice Statement Version 4.0